The structure of your skin is built with a matrix of collagen, elastin, and growth factors. As the years progress, our skin gradually tapers off the production of these elements causing visible signs of aging. This is often referred to as volume loss. Through strategic placement of deep-piercing micro-wounds, the skin is triggered to reset this production, flooding the area with new blood vessels and a harvest of growth factors including collagen. Since these micro wounds trigger regrowth, cell turnover is enhanced at a deeper level; therefore this process has also lead to a remarkable reduction in the appearance of scarring for many patients.
Yes, the following are necessary:
- Discontinue the use of Accutane for at least six months before treatment.
- Don’t use hydroquinone, and benzoyl peroxide acne products 5-7 days before treatment
- Discontinue use of any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or Motrin for three days before treatment.
- It’s relatively common to see bruising in the area after treatment, to reduce this risk discontinue any blood thinning agents like aspirin or fish oil seven days prior.
- Do not use skincare that may increase sensitivity: retinoids, exfoliants or acids (such as alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) or beta hydroxy acids (BHA)
- No unprotected sun exposure for at least two weeks prior to your appointment
- Don’t shave the area on the day of your treatment; this can cause additional skin irritation
- If you are prone to cold sores, ask Dr. Moazemi about an antiviral agent for two days prior to and on the day of treatment
Dr. Moazemi will clean your skin and apply a numbing agent 30 minutes before treatment. Next, he will use an MDPen which is a professional Electric microneedling device with 16500 RPM to treat the desired area. The overall session lasts from 20-30 minutes.
Though the area is thoroughly numbed, you may experience slight discomfort during the session. You can take over the counter pain medication post-treatment.
It’s completely normal for skin to turn red after a microneedling session; most people compare it to the look of a mild sunburn. Skin should begin to return to normal after 24-48 hours depending on how aggressive the treatment is. You may also see some small marks from the micro-injuries for the first few days.
By four weeks you will see some improvement in the overall health and look of your skin. We recommend at least three treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart for best results. This process is most effective if repeated annually. For skin with scarring or deeper lines, you may need to book extra sessions. Most practitioners consider microneedling an effective maintenance treatment to keep all skin types looking fresh and youthful.